U.S. Census Underscores Diversity
Though I agree with this article on the concept of educating our young in multicultural issues and diversity awareness, I feel that there is an aspect that is being missed. With much of the growing numbers of students in minority groups, there may be larger numbers of racially different groups but I believe that on closer examination we may find that many cultures are mixing and/or changing. I find that more and more you cannot necessarily tell someone's culture from their race or ethnicity. There are now asians who have pretty much been raised with african american values. Many African americans (blacks) who are raised in anglo-saxon protestant culture and then many different distinctions such as africans/(specifically Ghanaians) like myself who are not quite african-american and whose culture resembles a british cultural structure more than it does black american or white american cultures. I think that race, ethnicity nd culture needs to be treated a little more accurately, and that besides just building the awareness of the different cutures, we must begin to be aware of the changing cultural 'markers' or indicators.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home